I’m using EndeavourOs previously with Gnome Desktop. Had everything working great on there but really wanted to switch to hyprland and have really enjoyed the change.
However, there is one major sticking point that I haven’t been able to solve yet. I’m using an intel + Nvidia RTX 3070 hybrid gpu (Optimus) hardware. No issues at all with gnome.
I’m using the laptop predominantly in a docked configuration with a large external display via USB-C 120hz 5140x1440px.
On boot, everything works fine, after the system suspends the external display is unrecoverable. I’ve been doing as much digging into this as i can. I have set a bunch of modeset params in kernel, in modprobe and also done all the NvReg.preserveMemory=1 stuff. I’ve looked at setting different dynamic power management parameters such as 0x01 and 0x02 to limit how much the nvidia card turns off. It seems to be drawing around 14W even when the monitor isnt being detected. So it seems that its not turning all the way off.
On these hardware configurations the USB-C port is wired directly to the nvidia GPU. In suspend it seems to go to D3Hot state and then eventually into D3Cold state. I believe i tried disabling systemd suspend. I don’t think that changed anything. I’ve enabled all the nvidia services for suspend resume.
In all of this i’ve probably tried so many combinations of things that its not really possible to rule out a goldylocks set of properties that might work.. but im not having much luck and getting pretty fed up with the lack of answers. I’d prefer not to go back to gnome…
Gnome has a dedicated power management daemon or some such thing which carefully manages the display devices and recovers them on wakeup.
The only mitigation ive found to work, and its not an acceptable one.. is logging out and back in again. I don’t need to power off and reboot to get the gpu to wake up and detect.. just logout the session and login.. so its gotta be just a “simple” power management state thats not being checked and handled properly.
Does anyone on here have any advice?